The Freedom Center was established in 1977. It was originally known as the Alcoholism Center, before becoming the Alcohol and Drug Freedom Center of Knox County in 1985. The original location of the agency was on East High St. in Mount Vernon.
The current location of the Freedom Center is 106 East Gambier Street in Mount Vernon, Ohio. This property is known as the Wolverton House and was built in 1846. After many years of being a private residence, 106 East Gambier served as the American Legion Post and later an eye surgeons office until the Freedom Center purchased the building in 1997.
In a renovation project in 2013 a piece of the original wall paper in this home was discovered underneath a 2″x4″ wall stud. It is currently on display mid-way up the beautiful stair case.